If you are unemployed or have never worked anywhere, you must be wandering why I need a UAN? Actually EPFO has made UAN compulsory for all current, past as well future employees who are, were or going to be member of EPFO. For every transaction with EPFO an employee will require UAN which is a Unique Universal Account Number which will never change, irrespective of number of jobs employee changes. Even in case you have any complaint against EPFO & you want to register it at EPFO Grievances Android App, then you will need UAN.
Till now according to regular criteria, EPFO issues UAN to employer and employer provides it to the employee. In some cases the employer does not reveal UAN to employee and sometimes the employee misplaces UAN, for such people EPFO has introduced facility of getting UAN online. This facility is available to current employees, unemployed and even would be employees too.
EPFO is trying to make the transactions with EPFO easy and transparent. With Introduction of UAN, EPF Transfer and withdrawal has become so easy. After seeing success of these facilities and fall in complaints, EPFO has introduced issuing of UAN Online to any citizen of India.
UAN Online Registration – Things to Mention
- Any Indian Citizen whether he/she is employed or unemployed can register UAN Online.
- Only soft copies of documents to be submitted while registration.
- Simple KYC documents required for registration. (Aadhaar Card, Pan Card and Bank Details)
- There is a simple online registration form which anyone can easily fill.
- One need to upload recent photograph and scanned sample signature.
- The applicant will get UAN on mobile.
- No need to visit any EPF office, Register your UAN from your home, office or Internet Café.
Why I should register UAN directly without Employer intervention?
You must be thinking why I should register UAN before getting any job or without intervention of my employer. What are benefits of online UAN registration?
- Sometimes employer is not cooperative and does want to provide UAN details to Employees. In such cases this online registration will be blessing in disguise as now the employee is in direct contact of EPFO and transfer and withdraw his funds directly.
- In some cases the employer feeds wrong details of employee (it may be name, DOB or anything else). Till now only employer could rectify the details, but now with UAN the employee can rectify his details himself.
- When applying UAN online you are submitting your KYC documents so all the details will be verified before submitting, hence there will be lessen chances of mistyping and wrong details submission.
- Once you have got your UAN, you can provide the same to your new employer and he will have to just verify it.
- Now you may change any number of jobs your EPF transfer and withdrawal process will be through your UAN and easy. In this way your employer will not have any hold on your EPF account.
Documents required for Online UAN Registration
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN Card
- Bank Account Number
- Bank IFSC Code
- Your Recent Photograph size (3.5cmx4.5cm) on Dark Red background. File size of Photo 15 KB to 20 KB (JPG)
- Your Signatures Scanned (on white paper)
One can register for UAN without Aadhaar or PAN Number but without completing all details one cannot apply for EPF withdrawal.
How to Apply for UAN registration without employer?
- Visit the link. Under our services click on “For Citizens”.
- Now Click on Registration for Allotment of UAN
- Here you will see below form. The form has 4 sections. KYC Details, Personal Details, Bank Details and Uploading Photo and Signature. Now fill the form with all the details below:
- Mobile Number
- Email Id (You can leave it blank) It is second password recovery option.
- Aadhaar Number (Not compulsory but required to withdraw EPF)
- PAN Number (Not compulsory but required to withdraw EPF)
- Passport Details (Not compulsory but these are additional KYC documents)
- Election card (Not compulsory but these are additional KYC documents)
- Fill your personal details with great attention and these details should match with your KYC documents. Check the details twice for accuracy.
- Fill your Bank details – Account Number and IFSC code with attention.
- Now upload your photograph. Photograph should have following specifications:
- Photograph is to be taken using digital camera.
- Photograph is to be restricted to size of 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm.
- Image size should be between 15 Kb to 20 Kb.
- Image should have dark red background.
- Image should be in jpeg format only.
- Upload your signature scanned image. The signature should have following Specifications:
- Image size should be less than 20 Kb.
- Image should be in jpeg format only.
- Enter the captcha and click on “Generate Authorization Pin”.
- You will get authorization pin on your mobile through SMS. Enter the pin and submit.
- You will get your UAN on your mobile through SMS.
- After you get UAN you have to activate your UAN.
You can activate your UAN at UAN portal, but this activation is useful once you get the job. After you are employed, you will have to fill EPF registration Form. After this form is filled you are an EPF beneficiary. You can start contributing PF. Once you start contributing and activate your UAN, you can check your EPF balance and avail all other facilities and Benefits of UAN available at UAN portal for EPF members.
This way you are no more dependent on employer for your EPF related transactions. Also there are no chances that your employer can mislead you or hold your funds which are in EPF account. Online UAN registration also ensures that there are no clerical personal details mismatch as you have filled them yourself and you can update them yourself as and when required.